Saturday, March 30, 2013

The Descension into Hades: The Orthodox Liturgical Response

HT: Unsettled Christianity


Today Hades tearfully sighs: “Would that I had not received him who was born of Mary, for he came to me and destroyed my power; he broke my bronze gates, and being God, delivered the souls I had been holding captive.”
O Lord, glory to your cross and to your holy resurrection!
Today Hades groans: “My power has vanished. I received one who died as mortals die, but I could not hold him; with him and through him I lost those over which I had ruled. I had held control over the dead since the world began, and lo, he raises them all up with him!”
O Lord, glory to your cross and to your holy resurrection!
• Holy Saturday Orthodox Liturgy
A Triddum Sourcebook, p. 66
Also: God is Dead.
And: An Ancient Homily: The Lord's Descent into the Underworld

No comments: