Monday, September 23, 2013

Mike Gene Chooses to have Faith in Dawkins

Mike Gene's concluding paragraph here:


Now, let me be clear and note that I am NOT saying he did in fact make this story up. I simply do not know whether it is true or not. I do know there is no evidence it is true and there are reasons to think he could be lying about it all. I suppose in the end, I choose to believe he is telling the truth; I will accept it on faith. But then, I’m not the one who has serious problems with faith.
This despite the fact that in the comment section Mike notes that Dawkins once wrote: 
“And, next time somebody tells you that something is true, why not say to them: ‘What kind of evidence is there for that?’ And if they can’t give you a good answer, I hope you’ll think very carefully before you believe a word they say.””
Of course, this comes close to creating a paradox:  If we are to have faith in Dawkins' advice to doubt  people's claims, then should we have faith in Dawkins' claims?  Not quite as paradoxical as, "This sentence is false."  But close.  

No comments: